Rice is an outstanding dish that is always welcomed in various homes, parties or events but do you know that there are various ways to prepare rice? Yes! there are,like jollof, fried and coconut rice. You might have know or seen how to cook fried or jollof rice but you barely see who can cook a coconut rice and thats why i want to teach you how to cook delicious coconut rice.
Coconut rice is different from other rice prepared in our area because coconut alone comprises many minerals like magnesium, potassium, proteins, carbohydrates etc that our body needs for nourishment and that makes coconut rice so outstanding from other ones.
However, coconut can be eaten raw, roasted or as a whole. There is a liquid found inside the coconut and the liquid is an excellent thirst quencher.
Coconut milk is the ingredient that is used to prepare this rice and because of this milk gotten from the coconut, the rice is called coconut rice. Coconut milk can be used as a soft drink or fruit shakes and can be added to other dishes.
How to Prepare Coconut Milk
- Finely grate the coconut pulp or put it in a blender
- Add one-half litre of boiling water and leave it for one hour. Cow’s milk can also be used in place of the water
- Bring a sieve or cotton cloth and fill it with the coconut pulp
- Twist the cloth containing the coconut pulp until all the liquid has been removed
- Your coconut milk is now ready, but you can drink it( if you wish)
So, lets learn how to cook a delicious coconut rice but before it, you have to know the ingredients for preparing your rice.
Ingredients for cooking coconut rice
- Any amount of rice you want but lets take 500g parboiled rice
- 150ml tomato stew
- 100ml Coconut Milk
- 100ml chicken / Beef stock or plain water
- 1 medium sized onion bulb
- Ground crayfish (optional)
- 2 stock cubes/stock powder/ choice of seasoning
- Pepper( to any preferable amount)
- Salt( to taste)
How to Cook Delicious Coconut Rice
- Bring a pot, pour in the tomato stew, meat stock and the extracted coconut milk.
- Leave pot to boil for 5 minutes
- Pour the parboiled rice into the pot, add the chopped onions, ground crayfish, stock cubes, pepper and salt to taste. Make sure the rice in the pot is at same level with the rice.
- Cover the pot with its lid and leave the rice to cook on medium heat because high heat will make the rice to burn before is cooked while low heat will make the rice soggy and burn at the bottom
- Leave until the rice is properly done and the liquid in the pot is dried up.
- Serve and enjoy your home made coconut jollof rice. It can be served with moi moi, salad or fried plantains.
We are so privileged to be the one that taught you how to cook delicious coconut rice, please click on like to rate this guide.