Ping is an application command which can normally be seen in most popular laptops and on desktop computers. This command helps you to highlight an issue on your computer devices. With this command, you can be able to test the speed limit of connection between your computer device and another PC, a server, or even another website. Not only is the ping available on computer devices, it also has an app which is available for mobile downloads. But on this case, we’re going to focus more on how you can be able to ping Windows and OS X IP address.
How does it work? Once you start using the ping utility command, a message will be sent to you from the local client to a remote target via the TCP/IP network connection. The target in question can be a website, computer, or any device which already has an IP address. Not only that, ping also tends to provide indicators of the general speed or reliable network connections.
At first, once you tap on “returns”, you’ll be informed that with a pinging ID “bbc.co.uk”. If you decide to run the test, you just have to be rest assured that it runs with 32 bytes of data. After that, you’ll receive a reply from the IP address confirming the number of bytes being sent. Now read further below and see how to ping Windows and OS X IP address more succinctly.
Steps Required to Ping Windows and OS X IP Address
The steps below will help you to perform the pings command. Now just as we want to focus on both Windows and OS X devices, I’m going to show you their respective steps bit-by-bit.
How to Ping Windows IP Address
1. The first thing you need to do is to click on the “Start” button which is located at the bottom left corner of the home screen.
2. The next thing to do is to scroll to the options list and select “All apps”.
3. After that, you’ll then have to click on “Windows System” icon.
4. Once you’ve clicked on the Windows System, there will be a list of applications presented for you. What you need to do is to select “Run” from the list provided for you.
5. The next thing to do is to run the command (cmd) on your device and then tap “OK”
6. Once you’ve run the command, you’ll see the prompt which you’ve run. What you need do is to enter the prompt and run a ping for the IP address of your choice and then hit ‘Enter” for the ping process to start.
Once the ping is processing, you’ll see the list of the IP address being pinged, and also the amount of data being sent to you. If you decide to stop the ping command process, all you need do is to hold down to ‘Ctrl C’on your keyboard.
How to ping OS X IP address
- The first thing you need to do is to click on the Finder icon and select “Go” located in the menu bar.
- The next step is to select “Utilities” from the drop-down menu.
- Once you’ve opened the “Utilities” settings, you then have to locate the “Terminal” icon and double-click on it.
- You then have to run the command so to view the prompt.
- So you have to enter the prompt so as to run a ping for any IP address of your choice and hit “Enter” on your keyboard.
Once the ping process begins, you’ll be notified of the activities of the ping by listing the IP address being pinged, and also the amount of data being sent. Just like that of Windows, you equally have to hold down the “Ctrl C” on your keyboard.
Just leave a Comment below, and also Share this post.